The “Palazzo dei Canonici” in Ceredello

The “Palazzo dei Canonici” in Ceredello

Local rumors would have it that today’s building in the “Gardenato” courtyard, with the facade facing west and minor buildings on the sides, was in the past the residential palace of the Canons of the cathedral of Verona. This, in fact, is to be identified precisely with a fund with blocks of flats owned in the past by the Canons and the subject of two leases in the distant years 1323 and 1360, but there is no documentation capable of supporting the tradition. It was certainly a palace inhabited by notables, such as the Giramonte Dal Verme who rented it from 1360, and above all the anonymous one who had an imposing fresco with hunting scenes painted there in the early fifteenth century. Detached with the “tear” technique from the original site, undergoing renovation, in 1947 by the late painter and restorer Ettore D’Iseppi, it was fixed on canvas in five distinct frames, and thus saved from ruin.